Thursday 21 February 2013

LondonMidland ticket machines at Euston

In the week that +Which? claims 'Ticket machines aren’t working' I was dismayed to find proof of this report at London Euston yesterday...

My daughter was returning to Birmingham on the 1650 +London Midland service and, as I had been in Brighton for a meeting that morning, I was able to join her. As I was requiring a LM ticket (who pays Virgin Trains walk-on peak fares???), I opted to use one of the two LM ticket machines standing defiantly amongst the massed rows of Virgin machines in the ticket hall.

Imagine my surprise at finding that the default Birmingham fare displayed on the front screen was the Virgin Trains Any Permitted off-peak return - not least because the fare is not valid on the 1650 service...

I raised this strange situation with the LM Twitter team who first of all claimed that the fare was valid and then seemed (unusually for @londonmidland) to not understand the point  I was making and lose interest in helping me.

SO let us be clear. LM ONLY off-peak fares at £28 return are valid on LM evening peak services from Euston to Birmingham; Virgin Trains Any Permitted off-peak returns at £49 are NOT. What's the point of LM ticket machines if this fare information is not clearly displayed???

As a postscript, regular readers will not be surprised to learn that no ticket check took place at any point on the journey so one could ask: what's the point anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment